Have you ever had one of those days where you’re feeling down and out? One where you need a strong drink in the middle of the day, but you can’t because of this thing called work?? How about one where you just need a little something to hold you over until you go to sleep and forget all about the day? Well I’ve had a few of them and only one thing seems to get me through…No, it’s not coffee, surprised you with that one, didn’t I? It’s not my Luvbug either, although he does bring me immense joy.
It’s laughter! Yep, laughter. See, laughter is one of the best medicines and best of all it’s FREE!!
Do me a favour, before reading any further, think about a great joke and laugh.
Doesn’t it make you feel better??
What if I told you that laughing can actually have a positive impact on your health and overall well being, would you believe me? Well believe it, because it’s true! Laughter is one of the best free medicines without the negative side effects and symptoms. Here’s why you should a laugh a little more today and everyday:
- Laughter reduces your stress levels: It has been stated that a good hearty laugh can lower your physical tension and stress, leaving you relaxed for up to 45 minutes after. This is because your focus is being diverted from the anger, stress or negative emotions that you were experiencing, and stimulates your bodies circulation, helping you to relax. Laughter helps to reduce your stress hormones like cortisol, epinephrine and dopamine, firing up these stress responses and then quickly lowering them to a relaxation point. This can positively impact your heart rate and blood pressure, helping to lower them over time. High blood pressure in particular is one of the most common side effects of stress and a little laughter might be the best method to helping lower it.
- Laughter releases endorphins and it burns calories: Endorphins are natural pain killers, as they are chemicals that are produced by the body to provide relief from stress and pain. They work similarly to a class of drugs called Opioids, producing a “high” however, endorphins are all natural and safe, not impacting your short or long-term health. You have probably heard of the “runners high” that runners experience post exercise, as working out is another way in which endorphins are released by the body. If you don’t have time to get in that workout though make sure you make 10 minutes of time to laugh, because not only will you release endorphins, you will be burning calories. A good ole hearty laugh gets your heart pumping and can burn a similar number of calories as if you had gone for a slow to moderate paced walk. Now that is pretty impressive, so think what laughter and exercise could do in combination! #winning 💃🏽💃🏽
3. Laughter helps to boost your immune system: Have you ever noticed that when you are stressed out and constantly on the go, the moment you take time to relax you get a cold? That’s because stress and negative emotions actually lower your immune system and prevent you from being able to fight off sickness. So how can you prevent this? Along with other stress reducing remedies, start laughing. This will help boost your bodies T-Cells, which are specialized immune system cells, that lend a helping hand to keep your cells strong, while also fighting off foreign bodies that are trying to invade and make us sick. The T-cells will be activated by laughing and will immediately go to work, helping to ward off that sickness. Netflix and chill with a comedy tonight, anyone?🤷🏾♀️🤦🏽♀️
4. Laughter can strengthen your relationships: Having a sense of humor is one of the major personality characteristics that bring individuals together in either relationships or friendships. When you connect with individuals you enjoy being around, you’re already helping to re-balance your nervous system and relaxing. Laughter adds a bonus, where you can help heal any past resentment, disagreements and/or hurt. When we laugh together, we create a positive bond bringing joy, vitality and resilience to all parties.
5. Laughter makes you SMILE: It might sound simple, but laughter makes you smile and project happiness. It can be seen as a sign of friendliness, sociability and good will towards others, and brings forth good energy. It is contagious and if you can brighten up not only your day but that of another’s, then you’ve help at least 2 people!!
The next time you’re feeling down or stressed, call up that hilarious friend you have, turn on an episode of your favourite sitcom, or watch a YouTube video of your favourite comedian. Taking that moment to laugh, will help you relax and lower your stress, making whatever task or problem that was bothering you seem not so bad anymore.
If you have a favourite joke, leave it below in the comments section to give us all a good laugh and bring a smile to all our faces!
Follow me on Instagram!